Wednesday, May 28, 2008

David Miller Goes Crazy Once Again - This Time it's about Guns

Toronto Mayor David Miller's plans to introduce a ban on handguns and gun clubs in Toronto is, quite simply, one of the stupidest plans he has had in a long time (and for David Miller, that is saying quite a lot).

Miller advocates rescinding licenses held by two gun clubs, and making it illegal (through zoning restrictions) to "manufacture, assemble, or store" firearms in Toronto. He tries to justify this by saying, "I want a safe city. The truth is, guns are too easily available and if you talk to some kids in some neighbourhoods they tell you they want a gun to protect themselves."

While Miller seems to think that these kids are cowering in fear at the thought of target shooters and gun club members, I suspect they're probably a lot more afraid of street gangs and illegal guns smuggled in from the United States. Maybe instead of attacking responsible and legal gun owners, he could try to do something to reduce violence in those neighbourhoods he mentioned perhaps.

David Miller it's time to wake up and realize that if you want to reduce gun violence, you need to focus on those people who use guns in a violent manner and not everyone else.

1 comment:

Grumpy Old Man said...

(sent this letter already, everybody else should also send one)

Dear Mayor Miller,

I am a Canadian who owns firearms.
I clearly understand that firearms owners are not welcome in the City
of Toronto and I will respect your wishes.
I will not visit your city and spend my money there.
I will not order goods or services from any on-line company located in Toronto.
As well, I will tell others of my decision and encourage them to do the same.

Sincerely,

**********
******** Ontario