Wednesday, November 21, 2007

More crime bills!!!

This has been an amazing week so far for the Conservative Government! They have been moving strongly to tackle crime with several announcements over the past few days. First, on Monday they announced much-needed amendments to the Youth Criminal Justice Act (as I wrote in my previous post).


They followed that up strongly yesterday by tackling the horrible problem of drugs and the drug trade in Canada. Those criminals convicted of drug traffiking would be automatically subject to mandatory prison terms. I personally find it surprising and repugnant that currently drug traffikers and dealers are not being sent directly to prison for minimum sentences already... If someone chooses to engage in such a harmful and illegal activity which ruins thousands of Canadian lives each and every year, there must be serious consequences!

And now today, the Minister of Justice Rob Nicholson is addressing the rising issue of identity theft. Although I have never been a victim to this and I am very carefully in disclosing my personal information, I am worried about this type of crime. Your identity can be stolen by someone down the street from you or by someone halfway around the world and you might never know that someone has been masquerading illegally as you. Identity theft is a rising concern in today's society and I am very proud of the Government for not only recognizing this but also fighting back.

No comments: