Friday, March 7, 2008

Controversy over Bill C-10 is Meaningless

In the last few days, the opposition parties have been in uproar over Bill C-10. This bill would ensure that taxpayers' dollars do not go to support offensive and objectionable film productions.

Some left-wing commentators and politicians have decried this as censorship; well to do so is just plain wrong. There is a vast degree of difference between refusing taxpayer support for a project and stopping the project from being made. Film producers should not be able to receive public funds if their projects are offensive, derogatory, or overly violent. If they really want these types of films to be made, they are free to fundraise or seek other funding options.

If I am offended by a movie, I don't want to pay for it. I can already choose not to go see it, but offensive films should not be able to get any of my money from the government. If I want to support a film and its content, I will pay money to go see it in a theatre.

No comments: